Wednesday, December 31, 2008

I cheated

For the past several years I have made it a tradition to ride on New Years Day. I cheated this year, although I may actually take a short ride tomorrow morning. But yesterday the temps hit the 60's and I had the day off so I took a ride.

I needed it. It has been a month or so since I had been out. Riding is my stress reliever. I am a selfish rider in that I use my rides to ride my way. While this may sound elementary, believe me, it isn't. When I am out by myself the only thing I have to worry about is whether or not I am going to get slowed enough to make the next curve.

Riding with others actually adds stress that I don't need. I spent some time helping a new rider a couple of years ago and would often come home more frustrated than when I started.

Solo riding gives me an illusion of freedom that nothing else can quite match. Just get on the bike, point it one direction and ride until the wind blows everything away and life regains perspective. Riding the way I do requires a level of concentration that allows nothing else to intrude. I no longer have the need for speed that I once had, but the act of riding the perfect line through multiple curves gives me a satisfaction that brings a grin to my face and , dare I say it, an inner peace.

Whether you consider it meditation or mental masturbation, it doesn't matter, it works for me.

Happy New Year, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment